Ways to Use Coconut Oil in Your Home
For so long coconuts have been seen as a fun, tropical food that can sweeten up any dish, make for a fun party glass or as a tropical vacation must try (coconut water). Well say goodbye to knowing the coconut as just a tropical experience,and also say goodbye to not knowing if it is a fruit or a nut. After being converted to an oil, it is time to reintroduce the coconut as an everything solvent. Do you need some energy? Eat/drink coconut oil. Forgot sunscreen? Lather your skin with coconut oil. And being that we are dentists, our favorite use for coconut oil is as a mouthwash that naturally protects gum health. But, we’re serious when we say coconut oil can be used for just about anything. Here are 30 uses for coconut oil, and to help you out, we’ve divided them into categories.
Skin and Beauty – All of these uses are done just by rubbing coconut oil on skin
- Simply rub on your skin like to get the moisturizing benefits of a lotion and a slight natural SPF 4 sunscreen, can even be used as an SPF chapstick when applied to lips.
- Coconut oil in the raw can even be used as a homemade deodorant.
- Eye makeup remover.
- An all-natural, cloth-safe diaper cream.
- Age spot lightener.
- Prevents stretch marks during pregnancy or serious muscle gain.
- Massage Oil.
- Helps to sooth dry skin irritations such as eczema or psoriasis .
- Mosquito bite itch reducer.
- Mix with mint essential oils or rosemary for natural bug repellent.
Cooking – Used as an ingredient for any of these tasty, healthy treats
- Coconut oil is a natural energy supplement, taken with Chia seeds, just a tablespoon can give you an all-day energy boost.
- Homemade mayonnaise.
- Coconut clusters make for a great, sweet, and healthy treat for the kids.
- Can be used a vegetable oil substitute in any recipe.
- Any gluten-free eaters can have a crunchy coconut based granola snack.
- Down with the flu, a cold or just a bad sore throat? Mix a spoonful of coconut oil into hot tea and drink for instant, soothing sore-throat release. And as an even bigger bonus, the vitamins in the oil can even help to get you to a speedier recovery.
- Homemade meltaway candies (still healthy).
- Can even be used to make an excellent coconut dog treat.
- Make an excellent array of coconut shrimp dishes.
- Use coconut oil as a substitute for a portion of the butter in homemade crispy rice cereal treats in order to reduce some of the fat.
Uses at Home
- Use as an ingredient for homemade soap (bars or liquid).
- Add to grated leftover bar soap for a homemade, great smelling laundry detergent.
- Use as leather polish for shoes, belts, bags and even some couches!
- Add vinegar, baking soda and coconut oil together to make an all natural shower cleaner. Apply to a damp towel and get your shower sparkling again.
- Get that gum out of your carpet or hair just by rubbing it out with coconut oil.
- Mix with lemon juice to make a fresh-smelling wood furniture polish.
- Get rid of the stain that’s been in your carpet forever by mixing evenly with baking soda to make an efficient stain remover.
- Polish bronze items just by rubbing a little bit of oil on them.
- Remove rust from any metal object by lathering oil on the surface, let it sit for an hour and then wash away with warm water to get that shine back.
- Removes sticky residue left behind by stickers from any surface.